Posted by: miriamjang | November 20, 2008

Microwave plastics found not to be safe

Tests find chemical after normal heating of ‘microwave safe’ plastics

By Susanne Rust And Meg Kissinger
Nov. 15, 2008
http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/34532034.html

Products marketed for infants or billed as “microwave safe” release toxic doses of the chemical bisphenol A when heated, an analysis by the Journal Sentinel has found.

The newspaper had the containers of 10 items tested in a lab – products that were heated in a microwave or conventional oven. Bisphenol A, or BPA, was found to be leaching from all of them.

The amounts detected were at levels that scientists have found cause neurological and developmental damage in laboratory animals. The problems include genital defects, behavioral changes and abnormal development of mammary glands. The changes to the mammary glands were identical to those observed in women at higher risk for breast cancer…

[excellent article at url]
http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/34532034.html

– – – – see also:

  • Putting the products to the test.

    To test ‘safe’ products for bisphenol A, Journal Sentinel reporters sent items to Vom Saal’s laboratory for testing, one of the few laboratories that has repeatedly looked for BPA levels leaching from food containers.

  • Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Wisconsin
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: